Burntisland is located in Fife, just six miles by sea from Scotland’s capital, Edinburgh. By land from Edinburgh, the journey is closer to 30 miles as the road loops round to the new Queensferry Crossing, from which excellent views are available of the world famous UNESCO rated Forth Bridge. Taking the coastal road, the route then wends through the attractive coastal villages of Inverkeithing, Dalgety Bay and Aberdour, and finally Burntisland.
Although BSC was established in 1954, it took 30 years for club members to design and build a permanent structure for their clubhouse. The building is located at the entrance to Burntisland dock, at the far end of the East Harbour. As visitors approach by sea, it is the first building they see to starboard.
For many years, BSC members kept their boats on fore and aft moorings tucked in to the east of the harbour entrance. In 2018, after many years planning and negotiation, the club added some pontoon moorings in the internal East Dock. It is currently possible to accommodate about 25 yachts in the outer mooring area and roughly 16 in the inner dock. Burntisland is a commercial port and safe harbour of refuge. Therefore, unusually for an east coast harbour, it does not dry out and there is 24 hour access for boat owners.
Members’ boats normally get craned out of the winter during the winter season, unless they chose to overwinter on a pontoon berth. A mobile telescopic crane is contracted twice yearly: to lift boats in at the beginning of the season (April) and to lift boats out at the end (October). Expenses are shared equally between members.
To encourage active participation in affordable boating for the health and wellbeing of all.